I was able to get some changes using code like the following in the main
application class.

  UIDefaults defaults = UIManager.getDefaults();
  defaults.put("TextField.foreground", new ColorUIResource(128, 0, 0));
  defaults.put("TextField.background", new ColorUIResource(255, 255,
255));
  defaults.put("ComboBox.foreground", new ColorUIResource(0, 0, 0));
  defaults.put("ComboBox.disabledForeground", new ColorUIResource(80,
80, 80));
  defaults.put("ComboBox.background", new ColorUIResource(255, 128,
128));
  defaults.put("Label.foreground", new ColorUIResource(0,128,0));
  defaults.put("Label.disabledForeground", new
ColorUIResource(0,128,128));

What I was unable to do was to define a different background color for
a textfield when it is disabled. There does not appear to be a
differentiation
in UIDefaults. I tried setting "TextField.inactiveBackground" and
"TextField.disabledBackground" but no potato.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

WPE