Does anyone know if there is a way to determine which
window manager is running from within an application? I
work on Unix systems and will run the application under
several different window managers (CDE (Solaris and
HP), OpenWindows, twm, AfterStep, Gnome, and with X
emulators X-Win32 and Exceed).

The problem is with sizing of the widgets on my GUI -
it is slightly different under the different window
managers. It seems like a good idea to have certain
UIDefaults settings different for each of these (set
into the UIManager at launch time). The properties os
name and version is only part of the solution. The
property graphicsenv gives the same value for different
window managers so that isn't the right thing to use.
(e.g. sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment for both CDE and
AfterStep)

Alternatively I guess I'd need to get info from the
X-Server in my startup script (Bourne or C shell) then
pass in the info over the launch args.

Any ideas or info is greatly appreciated.
--
Marie.