Thanks Dmitry, that's saved me a lot of wasted time but was not the answer I
was really looking for. :-(

Unfortunately assistive technology such as screen magnification which I use
still has many problems. Although the latest version of ZoomText (version 8)
claims to support Java applets and GUIs. Guess I'll just have to bite the
bullet  and hope it works!

I would however assuming ZoomText 8 does work, like to know how I  would
replace the default LAF with the Windows LAF so that at least any GUI would
use my prefered high-contrast windows colour settings?

Thanks again
Cheers
Ian