Hi,

I want to write a Java applet wysiwyg text editor which understands a simple markup language similar to Restructured Text.

I'm not a particularly experienced Java programmer and I'm new to Swing so I may be wrong, but I think a good approach would be to use a Swing JEditorPane with a custom EditorKit and Document.

I've written a barebones test application in which my custom EditorKit and Document classes extend DefaultEditorKit and DefaultStyledDocument respectively. This gives me a working editor however, I was expecting to be able to insert styled text into my Document but I'm seeing text with the default style in the display.

To add styled text I'm doing something like this -

document.insertString(document.getLength(), "This text should be big", getStyle("bigtext"));

where 'getStyle' retrieves a SimpleAttributeSet from a Hashtable.

I'd really appreciate it if anybody could point me in the direction of some example code or suggest an alternative methodology if I'm going about this the wrong way.

Greg Hamilton