Hi Joel,

On Tuesday 08 Mar 2011 15:41:26 Joel Limardo wrote:
> It is (kind of) nice to see that we have not totally dropped this
> subject. First off, defamation is defined as making untrue statements
> that injure someone's character or otherwise by making public facts
> about another that, although true, are not in the public interest (for
> example, if a person had a disease).

Maybe. However, someone once told me after I said on a post to a public
mailing list that someone else told me on the phone that something about his
system was mismanaged, that spreading such rumours in public is considered
defamation.

Defamation or not, I think we should get Sony (or whoever)'s approval to say
they are using Perl, whether or not they do.

> Virtually any information that
> can be easily obtained by the public cannot be said to be protected --
> for instance, if your webserver returns pages that say 'made with
> Perl' it cannot be considered defamatory to aggregate and then
> retransmit this information to third parties. That would be as absurd
> as suing someone for publishing a list of public accounting firms that
> can be easily found in the phone book.

I see.

>      That being said, on certain way to avoid all legal challenges
> would be, as you may have guessed, to obtain written permission
> beforehand.

Right.

>      The goal of marketing is in part to create awareness. If you have
> never heard of widget X nor of it's features and reliability you are
> unlikely to use it. Human beings love to ride the bandwagon, so
> sometimes telling them that their favorite sports figure drinks cherry
> Coke before every game will boost sales. It is a bit of a crap shoot
> to figure out what works but I can assure you that doing nothing is
> like trying to start a car with a potato battery.

Yes, I've discussed my approach to marketing with some people on IRC
(including Su-Shee) and they told me we should instead work on preparing some
good web-based CMSes for Perl so people can install instead of WordPress or
possibly Drupal or whatever, because Perl 5 has very little usable things at
the moment. Personally, I think that the advocacy I was told that the advocacy
I've done on http://perl-begin.org/ is pretty good.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish