Really if anyone is considering applying to gsoc nothing should stop them,
submitting relevant items to the summer of code program under their
umbrella bodies is worth it. A list of last year's participating projects
is here;

http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2009

It's worth looking at other projects one might be interested in, then
approaching them just to get an idea and note what can happen as long as
the projects are participating this year. The window is still open for
applications.

Cheers,
Spencer.