I wrote an application which might be worth of sharing with you.

This is a httpd chat server in mod_perl. One uses a browser to
chat, no Java or Flash or download. No refresh tag in HTML META, yet,
the chatting messages move up quietly in a continuous flow. Chatters
can join or leave rooms as registered user or anonymously;
they can chat public or private; moderators can kick bad guys etc.
In the private chat mode, it functions basically like an IM.

Internally, the browsers pulls the latest messages from the
server every 1 second (or 2, configurable), and there is
Javascript-to-Perl variable mapping, so the browser can carefully
display only the newly added information. It is estimated to be
able to serve about 1000 concurrent chatters: 10 rooms with
average 100 people in a room.

On the backend, there are considerable usages of high topics
such as session, memory sharing etc.

I feel this is kind of cool :-), well, if you know any one already
wrote such an application, let me know. I googled PHP's
"chat module", Jabber web chat and etc., so far, this
mod_perl application looks way better in both speed and capicity.

Some of the ideas may extend to other interesting web applications.
E.g. to play chess on a web site --- again, no Java nor
Flash, just two remote players with IE. Also, the server can serve
not only words but also multimedia content, like a "remote training".

Well, just 2 cents.

We have been using mod_perl successfully for several months now as a
flexible email proxy -- we just wrapped Net::Server::Mail and with a
few additional hacks and it worked. Matt Sergeant did the same thing
with qpsmtpd and I have heard that the performance results were
initially very promising
(http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/qmail0411/120/1/1/1.html).

More details of our hack (patches etc.) are at
http://www.mailchannels.com/opensource and
http://search.cpan.org/~mock/Apache-SMTP-0.01/lib/Apache/SMTP.pm.

IMHO, using mod_perl as a general application server is a great
idea. For us there really was no other viable alternative. We looked
at POE, Sendmail's milter API, Net::Server and of course qpsmtpd but
the reliability, portability, and scalability of Apache was what
caused us to go through the effort of making our bits work on
mod_perl.

To configure a mail server, it's just a matter of adding a VirtualHost
section to the Apache configuration et voila. And as packages such as
mod_throttle move over to Apache 2, we will gain the wonderment of a
solid resource management tool for mail traffic. Joy!

TTUL
Ken