On Dec 27, 2004, at 7:36 AM, Geoffrey Young wrote:

the only kink here would be third-party CPAN modules for only mp2 - those
are _required_ to use ModPerl::MM::WriteMakefile (which knows to install
into Apache2/ if that's where mp2 was installed) instead of
ExtUtils::MakeMaker::WriteMakefile. while I've tried to do my best here
with a bunch of modules and perl.com articles, perhaps this point hasn't
been clear enough to the masses and that should be addressed.

Crap, I don't think that Apache::TestMM knows about this. How do we make sure that those of us who use Module::Build can get our modules installed in the right place?

well, perhaps. I can see how it would really affect users who rely heavily
on the CPAN shell and perldoc, but I don't think it's as much of an issue
for people used to using wget and the online docs. so, in other words, it
probably affects the casual user more than the dedicated mod_perl
application developer. but that's just my suspicion. in either case,
something should be done to make things right.

Will it not also affect us who build mod_perl applications and want an easy-to-use installer to just work for people who download our software? Frankly, I don't think that it should be fine for just the dedicated mod_perl developer. This is one place where PHP is kicking the crap out of us.

Regards,

David