On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:56:56 -0400, Chris Winters wrote:

> [...]
>
> This already exists in a fairly stable package known as the Bean
> Scripting Framework [1], first started by IBM but then donated to
> Apache Jakarta. It's not web-specific but is clearly used by folks
> in that context.
>
> Les Orchard floated a thought [2] about creating a Perl engine for
> the BSF, but I doubt anything came of it.

Well, it's a bit late, but something has in fact come out of this idea.

http://bsfperl.sourceforge.net

This is a BSF Engine that allows transparent bidirectional communication
between a Java process and an unmodified Perl installation.

It's still a bit alpha, but give it a try.  It works pretty well.

Thanks,
Don