I was the one who asked for your writing sample. I wanted to see if there
was something fairly obvious in your writing that would cause a rejection.
After looking at the links you provided, I'm sad to say that I agree with
About.com.

Technical writing and knowledge are as distinct as analyzing and creating
films. The latter is the more rigorous and (perhaps) rewarding activity, but
it is best to not completely discount the fore as oftentimes this
perspective can prove to be insightful. The Internet is fairly new, but
successful entities adhere to the same quality requirements/standards of
their in-print predecessors that have served them well in the past. In this
paradigm, editors are typically responsible for sending out the horrid
rejection letters you can receive. Oftentimes the standard can be to send
out stock letters full of niceties and emotional fluff when what they meant
to say was that your usage was poor, grammar questionable, and thinking
appeared muddled. I found all three of these in your writing samples.

Examples:
- Usage: "Programming the Way You Would Love"..if I'm not mistaken this is
an example of future perfect tense, generally a poor choice for a section
title.

-Usage #2: "Perl code is very succinct and can be written very quickly..."
 The use of the word 'very' should be avoided. You should even add a note in
your draft revision process that asks if you really need ANY use of the
word. Why? Because it tends to be VERY overused.

- Grammar #1: "This is useful to automate such web sites..." Remove the
'such' and the meaning becomes clear.

- Usage #3: "Perl was introduced in 1987 (4 years before Linux itself), when
the author, Larry Wall, released version 1.000 of it..." The addition of 'of
it' is needless and verbose.

- Usage #4: "The reason for its creation was that Wall was unhappy by the
functionality..." This is awkward and muddled. This can be better written
as, "Mr. Wall, tired of the inefficiencies in many Unix utilities, sought to
create a 'better mousetrap' sporting the very best features awk,  sed, ..."
Absent any other evidence the reader is typically correct in assuming that
muddled writing is a sign of muddled thinking. In the Perl community we know
better -- you may be simply bad at writing, but the average reader will not
be armed with this knowledge.

There are many more examples but I've made my point. Every time you write
for any form of publication you should be cognizant that the reader is
simultaneously analyzing the writing and reading it as well. They are
reading the content, but their minds are also analyzing the piece for
veracity, succinctness, structure, brevity, and other aspects. You can
summarize these in questions: 'is this person  telling me the truth?'; 'did
the author use the right word for that?'; 'is this person going to waste my
time?'; 'am I going to have to reread this ten times to understand it?';
'where in the hell is the point?'; etc. A good writer asks these questions
during a draft; the best writers ask them before even sitting down to write.

My recommendation is that you sit down and write a piece specifically for
publication in a print magazine (they are better about providing examples of
what they expect to see) and use that as a writing sample instead. Revise
your piece at least three times before submitting it to anyone. I do not
suggest that you find someone else to write these pieces for you. I think
you should do this and then try again.

Sincerely,

Joel Limardo
Chief Software Engineer