Dear Karen,

I am hereby asking you to consider relicensing the content of
http://learn.perl.org/ and other perl.org sites, which is currently under
the restrictive Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial NonDerivatives
licence ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/ ) under a less
restrictive licence, to allow for maximum reuse, redistribution and building
upon, which in turn will help promote the Perl 5 and Perl 6 programming
language and ecosystem.

I do not know what the reasons were for choosing CC-by-nc-nd out of all
the Creative Commons licences, but it is prohibitive for reusing the content of
the Perl sites. As an anecdote, I was told that the Israeli government releases
its photos under a very restrictive (All Rights Reserved) licence, because they
are afraid people will misuse them. And guess what? People don't misuse them,
but they don't use them either. On the other hand, Al Jazeera releases its
photos under CC-by and as a result they are featured all over the Internet and
beyond, which really contributes to anti-Israeli advocacy.

this message) agree with this, I am asking them to at least reply with a "+1".
If they disagree, please say so.

(I've made a similar request in a previous context, but it was as part of a
larger request.).

There are some very large sites that are under CC-by or CC-by-sa and they only
seem to benefit from it:

* http://www.wikimedia.org/

* http://www.wikia.com/

* http://stackoverflow.com/ | http://stackexchange.com/