1. There is a forum for APIlity related problems:
http://groups.google.com/group/adwords-api-php
2. Don't try to do it all at once. Go little chunks, but more often.
Should be no problem in a php environment.
3. Try Adwords Editor. It is often a better solution for creating big
amounts of adgroups/keywords.
4. Yes, the API isn't the fastest.

- Jan