Hi Eric,

I think your question has has been previously addressed in the
following thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/adwords-api/browse_thread/thread/1beea194d43f8a62.
In addition to Peer's response, there are some new targeting options
in the v2009 API that may also be useful.  The ProximityTarget (http://
code.google.com/apis/adwords/v2009/docs/reference/
CampaignTargetService.ProximityTarget.html) corresponds to the Custom
Map Point targeting in the AdWords User Interface.  Unlike the version
in the UI, the API doesn't support the automatic geocoding of the
address into a latitude and longitude, so you would still need to do
the conversion from a zip code beforehand.

Best,
- Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team