Ah, I see.  Thanks for the clarification, it is confusing.  The radio
choice looks like it should be irrelevant if the checkbox is
unchecked, since it is grayed out, and logically it does not apply
since you are not doing any content targeting.  What you are saying is
that it has no effect on the actual ad serving, but it does affect the
networks that are returned in the API.

To investigate further, I did a little experiment to see what networks
were returned under the possible states of the checkbox and radio
buttons.  I was only looking at the Content portion of the settings
(both Search boxes were always checked, and so the targeted networks
always included GOOGLE_SEARCH and SEARCH_NETWORK).  Here are the
results.  The top radio button is the one labeled "Relevant pages
across the entire network" and the bottom radio button is the one
labeled "Relevant pages only on the placements I manage".  I'm just
posting these results in case anyone else is confused by this issue
like I was.

State 1
---------
Checkbox: Checked
Radio: Top
Networks: CONTENT_NETWORK, CONTENT_CONTEXTUAL

State 2 -- the one that got me confused initially
---------
Checkbox: Unchecked
Radio: Top (grayed out)
Networks: CONTENT_CONTEXTUAL

State 3
---------
Checkbox: Checked
Radio: Bottom
Networks: CONTENT_NETWORK

State 4
---------
Checkbox: Unchecked
Radio: Bottom (grayed out)
Networks: none

So in effect, the radio button is a toggle for the CONTENT_CONTEXTUAL
network, with top being "on" and bottom being "off".  However, its
value doesn't matter if CONTENT_NETWORK is off.