Hi Pete,

I'm glad that you are starting to migrate to the v2009 API.  This
particular error should have been returned in a more identifiable way,
so you can catch and handle it client side.  I'll work with the core
engineering team to have this fixed.  Thanks for bringing this issue
to our attention.

Best,
- Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team.