Hi Travis,

Because a campaign and ad group can never be completely deleted (it is
just marked with a status of deleted) I believe you do need to remove
the actual keywords from the ad groups to be back under the limit.
You may also want to also ask your question to the general AdWords
forum: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/AdWords.

Best,
- Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team