Is it possible to tie AdWords API in with my web database to track
actual sales dollars and sales confirmation numbers as people clicking
on my Adwords ads check out on my website?

I am running into an issue with budgeting because of latent
conversions - I fear I may be underspending.

When customers purchase right away I can track the sale internally
with an internet code I've placed in the URL. This allows me to see
the exact dollar amount a customer spent.

When customers leave the site and come back to purchase later the
conversions are reflected in AdWords thanks to cookies, however my
internet code is dropped and I can no longer assign a dollar amount to
the sale. I am wondering if there is a way to track the sales $$ and
confirmation number on these latent conversions.

I have 150-250 conversions a month that I cannot track revenue for - I
need to figure out a way to track actual sales for these conversions
to budget correctly.

Can AdWords API help with this in anyway?

Have you migrated to v200909 yet?
The v13 sunset is on April 22, 2010.