I guess I am more questioning why it "automatically" returns a list of
all updated objects. Would it not be much more efficient if we could
pass along a flag that allows us to opt-in for a returned list of
those objects? If our software needs to go and update 5,000 criterion
bids (and the bids are the only thing I am modifying), I have to wait
for server to accept and process the SOAP request, generate a full
list of all criterion updated (including destination URLs, preferred
positions, keyword text, etc.) and wait for that object to come across
the network and ultimately discard all that extraneous data. That
seems highly inefficient in my opinion.

Or what is the possibility of just returning the modified parts of the
object updated?

On Apr 14, 12:05 pm, AdWords API Advisor
<adwordsapiadvi...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In addition, when adding new items using the ADD operator, you need to
> retrieve the ids of the created items.
>
> Best,
> - Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team
>
> On Apr 14, 8:06 am, Ales Sturala <stur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Because AdWords in some rare cases changes your data. For example,
> > when creating or changing name of a campaign, it trims a white space
> > and double spaces in the name:
>
> > "   my    campaign" -> "my campaign"
>
> > The returned data is the exact form of how it is stored.
>
> > On Apr 13, 8:24 pm, dshevnock <dshevn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Out of curiosity, why do the mutate operations (such as
> > > AdGroupService.mutate, AdGroupCriterionService.mutate, etc.)
> > > automatically return a full list of the modified objects?

Have you migrated to v200909 yet?
The v13 sunset is on April 22, 2010.