With the API you can give it a batch of keywords, get search volume
numbers & CPC (for any match type) for just the keywords you give it.
We're doing about 250 at a time and it's working well.  It doesn't
seem to like it when you batch too many of them together, or do too
many calls in a row of small batches.

They're having issues with search volume numbers via the API
currently, so hold off until that's resolved.  When it is working, the
numbers returned should match the numbers you see in the updated
External AdWords Keyword Tool (NOT the Search Based Keyword Tool).