Ha! Well, that explains where my "Keyword" column was coming from -
the contents of that field was the keyword specification, but since it
was called "Keyword" instead of "PlacementUrl" I thought it was coming
from the request for the Keyword field... but it disappeared when I
removed PlacementUrl from my request... does appear to be a variant on
your question.

Clear documentation on this cannot come soon enough!