This is how Google represents bids that they have made on your(or your
clients) behalf. If you use BudgetOptimized, ConversionOptimized, or
any Optimized by Google bidding, you will get these as the bids
returned.

If a bid gets returned with "auto: " then the bid cannot be set
through the API unless the bidding strategy is changed in the campaign
settings.

Currently "auto" and "auto: #.##" are the only values other than
straight floats that I have seen returned in a bid field, but Google
could always introduce new things so I catch parsing exceptions,
replace what they sent me with a zero, and print out a warning into a
log file if there is anything that is not caught by one of the cases
that I already account for so the people who are monitoring the data
know that some of it is not necessarily correct.