I'm bumping this old thread because I'm running into the same issue.

As the OP points out, locations provinceCodes are not the same as for
GeoTargeting .  For the US this is easy to solve (remove country code), but
I need to know the exact list of supported countries and what those province
codes are.  Another variation is UK.  For GeoTargeting UK province codes are
supported, but for LocationAdExtensions they are not (and instead get a free
form 'County' field).  As this service was recently added to the RMF,
developers are going to need to know the discrepancies between GeoTargeting
and LocationAdExtensions.

Is there a documented list of supported countries and corresponding province
codes?

Thanks,

Luke