Without using reports you will have to make api calls to the services
for each entity you wish to pull data for.

If you want data at the keyword level, you will need to use the
AdGroupCriterionService.

If you want data at the adgroup level, you will need the
AdGroupService.

And so on, it really depends on what specific level of data you want.

It is much more cost effective to get data from the report service
since otherwise you will be paying units per entity.

Getting data through the AdGroupCriterionService for 1,000 keywords
will cost you 1 unit per keyword, thats 1,000 units for getting all
your keyword data just one time.

You can get the same data as many times as you would like using the
report service for a one time charge of 400 units to define the
report. This report definition can then be used as many times as you
wish at no charge.

To get the data without using reports, you just have to specify the
individual stats fields you want in your selector and make a get
request to the appropriate service.

Here is an example of how selectors are used in php:
http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/docs/selectorguide.html

I am not a php developer so can really only offer AdWords API specific
questions. Maybe there is someone else on here that could be more
helpful.