The problem is, if I do that I didn't really create an individual budget,
but just a shared budget applied to only one campaign.

The reason I asked is that Adwords webapp makes the distinction between
explicitly created shared budgets and individual budgets (or at least
appears to), which made me wonder if there was another way to manipulate
individual budgets.

If not, I guess that is the way to go.