Searching further, I found the article "Mapping Report to the UI" which
describes the placement exclusions as
follows<https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/guides/uireports?hl=nl#placementExclusionsReport>
:

*Although placement exclusions, known in the API as negative placements, do
not hold statistics, a report called Campaign Negative Placements
Performance is available in the API to retrieve this structural data. Note
that only data about negative placements at the ad group level is available
via the API reports. To retrieve placements exclusions data at the campaign
level refer to the
CampaignCriterionService<https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/reference/latest/CampaignCriterionService?hl=nl>

*

This appears to be wrong. The Campaign Negative Placement Performace report
gives data about negative placements on the campaign level, NOT the ad
group level.

So, I can retrieve campaign level negatives in two ways, with the Campaign
Negative Placement Performace report and the CampaignCriterionService. What
about ad group level negatives?

In case you wonder, my goal is to detect which automatic placements are now
excluded, as seen in the Display Network tab of the web UI. The mentioned
article "Mapping reports to the UI" does mention how the automatic
placements are generated, but how the "Excluded" label is determined is not
part of the documentation.