Hi

You can confirm if you are using the test accounts if you see the
operations cots zero units and returns at least one entity.
Also described here
https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/test-accounts

As for the developer token,
Yes you can use the test accounts before the token is approved.

Best,
- Takeshi, AdWords API Team