Hi Ed,

This could happen if the ClientLogin server thinks that the account needs
user verification. This is not something under the control of AdWords API
team, but our recommendation is to switch to OAuth2 installed application
flow instead. That should address the issues you are seeing.

Cheers,
Anash P. Oommen,
AdWords API Advisor.