I essentially asked this question a while back on the general AdWords
forum, since this isn't specific to the API:
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/mobile-optimized-ads/m-p/125392.

 The gist is that if you only have ads that are not mobile preferred in an
ad group, they will show to all devices (including mobile, assuming you
don't have its bid modifier set to -100%).  Similarly, if all you have in
an ad group are mobile preferred ads, they will show to all devices
(including desktop/tablet).  However, if you have both mobile preferred ads
and non mobile preferred ads in the same ad group, only the mobile
preferred ads will show to mobile devices, and the non mobile preferred ads
will show to desktop/tablet devices.

Hope that helps,
Greg