AdHoc reporting is still performed using the Report Definition Service.
Prior to 201109 you could still do non-ad hoc reporting with Report
Definition Service, so that's what's be being referenced there.

You should be fine using that PHP example code. The Report Definition
Service is not deprecated or scheduled for deprecation or anything like
that.