We encounter this too. Added retry logic and that seems to have fixed it.
Its bad though to have to catch a NullRef and retry on that.

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:22:00 PM UTC+5:30, Stephen Gilles wrote:

> I have the same issue - using v18. I've searched extensively in this
> group, finding many similar issues, but no specific solution...
>
> Steve
>

> On Monday, June 9, 2014 11:49:58 AM UTC-7, Anash P. Oommen (AdWords API
> Team) wrote:
>>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I thought I fixed this error. Could you kindly download the source
>> distribution from
>> https://github.com/googleads/googleads-adwords-dotnet-lib/releases/tag/v16.6.0
>>
>> and let me know what line this exception is being thrown?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Anash P. Oommen,
>> AdWords API Advisor.
>>
>> On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 12:16:04 PM UTC-4, Peter Kingswell wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we download campaign performance stats on a daily basis and encounter
>>> this exception fairly regularly.  Is anyone else seeing this? :
>>>
>>> Exception System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an
>>> instance of an object.
>>> at
>>> Google.Api.Ads.AdWords.Util.Reports.ReportUtilities.DownloadReportToStream(String
>>>
>>> downloadUrl, Boolean returnMoneyInMicros, String postBody, Stream
>>> outputStream)
>>> at
>>> Google.Api.Ads.AdWords.Util.Reports.ReportUtilities.DownloadClientReportInternal(String
>>>
>>> downloadUrl, String postBody, Boolean returnMoneyInMicros, String path)
>>> at
>>> Google.Api.Ads.AdWords.Util.Reports.ReportUtilities.DownloadClientReport[T](T
>>>
>>> reportDefinition, Boolean returnMoneyInMicros, String path)
>>>
>>> AFAICT the problematic invocations are not significantly different to
>>> other successful invocations.  It occurs irrespective
>>> of ReportDefinitionReportType.  Here is how we create the ReportDefinition:
>>>
>>> ReportDefinition definition = new ReportDefinition();
>>> definition.reportName = "blah";
>>> definition.reportType =
>>> ReportDefinitionReportType.CAMPAIGN_PERFORMANCE_REPORT;
>>> definition.downloadFormat = DownloadFormat.CSV;
>>> definition.includeZeroImpressions = true;