Hi Eric,

Yes, I'm deleting the default subdivision partition. The ID is shared among
all ad groups, as you say, but remember that by deleting an ad group
criterion you're deleting inside a specific ad group
(AdGroupCriterion.mutate takes both the ad group ID and the criterion ID),
so you won't be deleting anything in other ad groups.

As for the tree being in an inconsistent state, that doesn't seem to be the
case, since you can see it in the UI (you'd be getting errors otherwise),
so it's probably just a case of deleting the root node and calling it a day.

Cheers,
Sérgio

---
Sérgio Gomes
Developer Relations

Google UK Limited
Registered Office: Belgrave House, 76 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W
9TQ
Registered in England Number: 3977902

On Saturday, 9 August 2014 03:05:33 UTC+1, road11 wrote:

> [...]
>
> On Friday, August 8, 2014 6:57:40 AM UTC-4, Sérgio Gomes (Shopping API
> Team) wrote:
>>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> I'm afraid I'm having trouble replication your issue locally. I've set up
>> a partition tree with a NegativeAdGroupCriterion and had no trouble
>> deleting the whole thing by just deleting the base node.
>>
>> Perhaps the tree you're testing this with is in an inconsistent state?
>> Could you try creating a new one and testing there?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Sérgio
>>
>> ---
>> Sérgio Gomes
>> Developer Relations
>>
>> Google UK Limited
>> Registered Office: Belgrave House, 76 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W
>> 9TQ
>> Registered in England Number: 3977902
>>

>> On Wednesday, 6 August 2014 16:09:22 UTC+1, road11 wrote:
>>>
>>> Viewing previous posts on this topic, I've decided it would be easier
>>> just to delete my partition tree and create a new one. However, I get an
>>> error when I try. I've created operations of type REMOVE in the
>>> ProductPartitionHelper.cs class like so (very similar to the ...
>>>
>>>         public void CreateRemoveOperation(AdGroupCriterion criterion)
>>>         {
>>>             criterion.adGroupId = this.adGroupId;
>>>             AdGroupCriterionOperation operation = new
>>> AdGroupCriterionOperation();
>>>             operation.operand = criterion;
>>>             operation.@operator = Operator.REMOVE;
>>>             this.operations.Add(operation);
>>>         }
>>>
>>> Then I get all the Partitions in the adGroup. There are 3 of them in my
>>> case: the default partition (type SUBDIVISION), the partition I want to bid
>>> on (type UNIT), and the "everything else" partition (also type UNIT). Then
>>> I loop through them to create delete operations using the
>>> ProductPartitionHelper, followed by the mutate operation, like so...
>>>
>>>             List<AdGroupCriterion> list =
>>> GetCriteriaForShoppingAdGroup(adGroupID);
>>>             Debug.WriteLine(list.Count);
>>>             ProductPartitionHelper helper = new
>>> ProductPartitionHelper(adGroupID);
>>>             foreach (AdGroupCriterion cri in list)
>>>             {
>>>                 helper.CreateRemoveOperation(cri);
>>>             }
>>>
>>>             AdGroupCriterionService adGroupCriterionService =
>>>                 (AdGroupCriterionService)user.GetService(
>>>                 AdWordsService.v201406.AdGroupCriterionService);
>>>             try
>>>             {
>>>                 adGroupCriterionService.mutate(helper.Operations);
>>>             }
>>>             catch (Exception ex)
>>>             {
>>>                 Debug.WriteLine(ex.Message);
>>>                 if (ex.InnerException != null)
>>>                 {
>>>                     Debug.WriteLine("Inner Exception:" +
>>> ex.InnerException.Message);
>>>                 }
>>>             }
>>>
>>> ...it chokes on the mutate method with this: Inner
>>> operations[1].operand.criterion.id,
>>> AdGroupCriterionError.PRODUCT_PARTITION_DOES_NOT_EXIST @ operations[2].
>>> operand.criterion.id]
>>>
>>> the third partition in this tree, the "everything else" partition, (the
>>> one represented by operations[2]) is excluded, hence the Google API gave it
>>> a type of NegativeAdGroupCriterion (criterionUse = "NEGATIVE").
>>>
>>> So, since it thinks this partition doesn't exist, I tried passing only
>>> the first two, omitting the 3rd. When I do that, I get the same error:
>>> Inner Exception:[AdGroupCriterionError.PRODUCT_PARTITION_DOES_NOT_EXIST
>>> @ operations[1].operand.criterion.id]
>>>
>>> ...that operation is represented by the real product I'm bidding on, and
>>> it most assuredly does exist. I can verify this by downloading the report
>>> from the UI for the adGroup and comparing criterion ID's. It's definitely a
>>> product partition with a criterion type of BIDDABLE.
>>>
>>> Finally, I tried removing just the root partition. I had seen earlier
>>> Josh indicated that removing that partition performs a cascading delete.
>>> However, when I do that, I get this exception:
>>> Inner
>>> Exception:[OperationAccessDenied.OPERATION_NOT_PERMITTED_FOR_CAMPAIGN_TYPE
>>> @ operations[0].operand.userStatus; trigger:'SHOPPING',
>>> OperationAccessDenied.OPERATION_NOT_PERMITTED_FOR_CAMPAIGN_TYPE @
>>> operations[0].operand.biddingStrategyConfiguration.biddingScheme;
>>> trigger:'SHOPPING',
>>> OperationAccessDenied.OPERATION_NOT_PERMITTED_FOR_CAMPAIGN_TYPE @
>>> operations[0].operand.biddingStrategyConfiguration.biddingStrategyType;