Let's not turn this into a debate about node, but to provide specific
examples of what I refer to:

For some good advice describing the challenges read this stackexchange
thread all the way through(it's only 5
posts):
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/205232/is-node-js-a-good-fit-for-background-processing

For an example use case that node probably wouldn't be great for, consider
a bidding or budgeting algorithm being processed for each campaign,
adgroup, placement, device target, location target, keyword, and ad every
night for hundreds of accounts, some of them with over 100 campaigns and
thousands of keywords. This is necessarily concurrent(likely distributed),
otherwise you will never finish in time. It is not necessarily synchronous,
that would depend on the algorithm itself, but it will be CPU bound(heavy).

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/adwords-api.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adwords-api/2039ba02-aaea-487e-abf0-ca7e2aeb3207%40googlegroups.com.