And of course it never fails, figured it out not long after posting the
question.

BiddableAdGroupCriterion of type Platform use a SET operation in
AdGroupBidModifierService to change the BidModifier.

BiddableAdGroupCriterion of type Gender, Age, and CriterionUserList use a
SET operation in AdGroupCriterionService to change the BidModifier.

Seems like a strange lack of consistency, but at least there is a way to
accomplish the task at hand.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/adwords-api.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adwords-api/52fc67c4-7522-4c3f-916d-7f9b5c702db4%40googlegroups.com.