In Display Network mobile app install campaigns that target mobile app
categories as the biddable placement, you can get the mobileappcategory::
ID string in the PLACEMENT_PERFORMANCE_REPORT in the Criteria field
(Placement column).

For example, if you are targeting: */All Apps/Google Play/Games*
It will show up as *mobileappcategory::60008 *in the
PLACEMENT_PERFORMANCE_REPORT's Placement column (Criteria field).
For reference, here are the mobileappcategory IDs:
https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/mobileappcategories

My question then, is there a way to get this mobile app category ID string
in the ad's URL using ValueTrack parameters or some other mechanism?

For example, in the case of targeting mobile app placements (in comparison
to mobile app categories), in the PLACEMENT_PERFORMANCE_REPORT, the mobile
app placement shows up as the mobileapp::1-123456 style string ID, and in
the URL, you can use the ValueTrack parameter {placement} to get the same
mobileapp::1-123456 style string ID. This is very useful for aligning data
in internal systems.

However, for mobile app categories, it does not seem like you can get the
mobileappcategory::60008 style string ID in the URL as a parameter. If your
campaign is targeting mobile app categories as the biddable placement and
use the {placement} ValueTrack parameter, Google passes the
mobileapp::1-123456 style string ID of the mobile app where the ad was
shown, and not the app category that is being targeted. The
PLACEMENT_PERFORMANCE_REPORT does report the mobileappcategory:: style ID.

Basically, the behavior is inconsistent between mobile apps and mobile app
category targeted campaigns, it seems.

Looking at the definition of the {placement} parameter (
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en), it has the
following explanation:
*The content site where your ad was clicked (for keyword-targeted
campaigns), or the matching placement targeting criteria for the site where
your ad was clicked (for placement-targeted campaigns)*

I interpret that to mean that since our targeting criteria is the
mobileappcategory, we should get the mobileappcategory:: string ID in the
URL parameter. However, it returns the mobile app, which is not our
biddable targeting criteria.

Is this the expected behavior of the {placement} parameter, or should it in
fact return the mobileappcategory:: instead of the mobileapp:: string ID
for mobile app install campaigns targeting mobile app categories as the
biddable placement?

If this is in fact the expected behavior, how then can we get the same
mobileappcategory:: string ID in the URL as a parameter? We'd like what
comes in on the URL to match what we see in the
PLACEMENT_PERFORMANCE_REPORT, just like we see for mobile app placements
currently.

Btw, I know there is the {target} parameter that returns a partial category
name, but this is not the ID, and the category is not unique since iOS and
Android have different mobileappcategory:: string IDs for the same category
description.
For example: {target}=games
Android: 60008 - /All Apps/Google Play/Games
iOS: 60506 - /All Apps/Apple App Store/Games

Also, getting the mobile app where the ad was shown even though it is a
mobile app category campaign is very useful in itself, and we would not
want to lose that information, however, ideally we'd also be able to get
the actual biddable criteria placement that is targeted as well to align
with the data in the PLACEMENT_PERFORMANCE_REPORT.

Thank you very much.
Mark

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/adwords-api.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adwords-api/ce0a042f-b6d4-46e0-b68b-35d54446a915%40googlegroups.com.