Hi Dorian,

Thanks for reporting, I'll ask the reporting team to take a look.

Cheers,
Anash P. Oommen,
AdWords API Advisor.

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 12:51:38 PM UTC-4, Dorian Kind wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that with ETAs, the path1 and path2 fields are optional—you
> can create an ad without either of these two fields set. This is in
> contrast to the previously used text ads, where every field is required.
>
> This has an interesting effect, as the CSV reports show unset path fields
> as " --" (a space and two hyphens)—but you can also set either path field
> to consist of two hyphens, which also causes the field in the report to
> show a space and two hyphens.
>
> This means that theoretically, you can't tell from a CSV report whether a
> path field of an expanded text ad is really empty or has been set as "--".
> Here's an actual CSV report from a test account:
>
> Path 1,Path 2,Headline 1,Headline 2,Description
>  --, --,Headline 1,Headline 2,Empty path fields.
>  --, --,Headline 1,Headline 2,"Path fields set to ""--""."
> Total, --, --, --, --
>
> Now I freely admit that this is a contrived scenario, but I wonder whether
> it would be possible to leave the field empty instead of using " --".
>
> Seeing as " --" usually means "Not applicable" in the CSV reports (it's
> mainly used if a metric doesn't have a meaningful aggregate in the totals
> line, for example), I feel a clear distinction would be helpful.
>
> Any thoughts on this matter?
>
> Best regards,
> Dorian

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adwords-api/38986426-ac57-4385-8583-e7c869149f0a%40googlegroups.com.
  • Optional Path f... Dorian Kind
    • Re: Option... 'Anash P. Oommen (AdWords API Team)' via AdWords API Forum
      • Re: Op... Dorian Kind
        • Re... Oliver
          • ... 'Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)' via AdWords API Forum
            • ... Dorian Kind
              • ... Zweitze