I'm wondering how I can map a product returned by the shopping performance
report to the ad it belongs to.
For example let's assume that I have created a shopping campaign with 1 ad
group, I then upload 2 different product feeds. In the adwords UI under
"Ads & Extension" I will see 2 rows like this:

Ad             Ad group         Status        Ad type      Clicks .... etc
Shopping Ad    My ad group      Approved      Product Ad   123
Shopping Ad    My ad group      Approved      Product Ad   321

Now if i use the Ad Performance Report i will be able to distinguish the 2
by looking at the Ad ID field (name will be the same: 'Product listing ad;
Promotion: '), but I won't be able to get details at product level with
this report(?).

However when if I use shopping performance report I can get the product
details but they only have a reference to the Ad Group ID, as far as I can
tell there's no mapping to the ad?

Is there any reason why the shopping performance report cannot return the
ad id together with the products (i.e. it's intentional by design)?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adwords-api/2ee73471-04d6-4642-b0ae-b2d511fe1e30%40googlegroups.com.