There are a few tools out there that do this already but are built on the
AdWords API. (I even built one myself).
I think the Google Ads API has a few limitations. eg. I don't think it can
subdivide by product category yet. Might be worth waiting til V2.

Joe

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adwords-api/95aa88dd-7480-49ec-940f-d1405a063e13%40googlegroups.com.