I'm just hanging back and watching this whole thing unfold for as long as I
can.

I don't believe there are many casual users of the API. The changes it
undergoes (api-breaking changes, deprecation of ad formats, new ad formats,
etc...) mean you keep up or keep out.

A year may be enough to port an well written application (even one of
meaningful size) to a new stable version, but what we are to port to is a
"first stable version" of a ground-up rebuild, which means *unstable
version* by any respectable quality criteria. Perhaps there was a beta. I
never go an invite.

On that note, it bothers me profoundly that there is no clear warning that
the current API it will be discontinued in less than 12 months. There is a
subtle note in the Guide's "getting started" page which once you're started
you'll probably never visit again and *nothing in the Reference*, which is
where we (I at least) constantly go to when actively developing/maintaining
api-related code. There should be a clear note on every page in the
reference.

I have seen people asking questions about the current API that clearly
indicate they are taking first steps into it. They get no warning that they
are building against a sun-setting code base. Perhaps that is on them,
since they should be reading the subtle note in the Guide.

All this makes me suspect "12 months after the first stable version" may be
a soft deadline.

If not, we're all in for a ride.

Andre