Greetings,

I also came across the same issue, and wonder if there is any update about
this.

I 'm using v8 and I 'm not able to set a DISPLAY campaign using
MAXIMIZE_CONVERSIONS or MANUAL_CPM as its bidding strategy when UPDATE it.

Here is some more information and hope it helps.
* It is fine to CREATE display campaigns using those bidding strategies
* It is fine to update a SEARCH campaign using MAXIMIZE_CONVERSIONS as its
bidding strategy with a `target_cpa` set to it.
  * However, it is not possible to update using MAXIMIZE_CONVERSIONS
without setting the `target_cpa`. The API call completes without any error
but the bidding strategy just won't be set to the campaign
* It is fine to update a display campaign using MAXIMIZE_CONVERSIONS
strategy by the old AdWords API

Looking forward to your reply.