This same thing happened to me yesterday starting at 3:30 pm ET. Individual
calls weren't consistently failing; the exact same call could succeed once,
then fail for "USER_PERMISSION_DENIED", then succeed. I upgraded my Google
Ads API from version 10 to version 11 around 4:45 pm ET and haven't had it
happen since.

Out of curiosity, I then downgraded back to version 10 and the issue did
NOT reappear. It's possible Google fixed an internal issue at the same time
that I upgraded, though I suspect the problem was in an older dependency
package.