What do you mean by clean handoff?
With the latest firmware I have not seen any issues on any of the E4/5xx series with mesh or clients moving from one ap to the next. There are a few features to help dial it in for great hand off. I also noticed that cnmaestro plays a roll in managing the handoff as well.
 Hit me off list if you wanna know more on performance and management.