If it’s company CEO, they should purchase Smartnet contract and keep the
firmware updated.  That’s about the only way you are going to fix
vulnerabilities, hope Cisco fixes them, and keep up with the latest firmware.

IMHO the only reason to have a Cisco  ASA at home is he needs a site-to-site
VPN to an ASA at the office.  Meaning he has multiple devices at home that need
to work across the VPN, otherwise he could probably use a software VPN client
on his computer.  Or maybe non computer devices like his phone needs to work
across the VPN.

Also IMHO if this is the case, he needs a Cisco security trained/certified IT
person to manage it.  I was OK dealing with IOS but the ASA series I always
found very difficult to configure and maintain, I pretty much wouldn’t touch
them.  One of my customers who had ASAs at HQ and every branch office had a big
IT company under contract to do all their ASA maintenance and even though they
were supposedly Cisco experts, they would screw up and mess everything up
trying to do a simple change and end up taking a whole day to get it working
again.

A common approach seems to be start with ASDM to get a basic working config
because you’ll never get there from the command line, but then SSH in and do
the rest of the config manually.  Then be sure to save a copy of the config for
when you inevitably break everything trying to make a change.

If the CEO just needs a fancy router, there are probably better choices than an
ASA.  Just not a Sonicwall.  Maybe a nice Netgear AX8, which will look it’s
about to take off and fly around the living room.  Or maybe a nice Google WiFi,
he can put one in every room.

But you’re probably going to say it’s the VPN thing.  Some people say it’s
because they need a true firewall, not just a router.  But then I ask them what
custom firewall rules they defined.  And who monitors the IDS logs and responds
to the identified threats.  If the answers are none and nobody, then it’s just
an expensive router.  And BTW, in my experience ASAs are like every other
router, first troubleshooting step is to power cycle them and see if the VPN
light comes back on.

I have some customers now using firewall appliances at every site that they
contract out to a big telco which I think is using firewall appliances based on
pfSense.  I don’t really know enough to have an opinion, but that seems a
reasonable way to go.  No Cisco maintenance contract to buy just to get
firmware updates.  Just finding someone to sell you Smartnet is a pain, I used
to call up a place like CDW.  I swear Cisco doesn’t really want your business
unless you’re a Fortune 500 company, or government, or a big telco.