This speaks to that: https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/11/self-assembled-carbon-nanotube-antennas-for-solar-power-revolution.html

They say they have already achieved 43% efficiency, which is close to double the photon conversion efficiency.

Will be interesting to watch.

On 11/25/2018 2:30 PM, Chuck McCown wrote:
I would think that they would have an issue with polarization and wavelength.  Broad band of wavelengths in sunlight at random polarizations.  I guess mini bow tie antennas could handle the broadband part.  I wonder what the electric field strength is of sunlight.  If it was not high enough it would not be rectifiable.

Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2018 3:09 PM
To: AFMUG
Subject: [AFMUG] OT: Solar panel efficiency

Most of you know this, but current technology silicon solar panels are near their peak efficiency at 20-25 % efficiency. There is a speculated peak efficiency of around 29%, but we have no idea whether we can reach it or not. The big issue is that only a fraction of the photons that hit the silicon substrate get electrons to move (they create electron holes in fact).

However... What if we approach the energy conversion a different way. We know from college (high school?) physics that light can be treated as particles (photons), but it can also be treated as electromagnetic waves. What if we could build tiny antennas that were sensitive to these waves? What could we get for efficiency then? These folks think they could get 90% efficiency, and they've already demonstrated > 40% efficiency. Carbon nano-tubes.

Article 1

Article 2