Matt,

   It depends on what you mean by remotes? If you are talking about a remote cabinet not likely. If you are talking about a CO that just happens to be in the middle of no where you can as a clec. In your area I am very familiar with the process. It sucks you are looking at probably a year to two to be up and running. Unless you have a large business case I would say its probably not worth it.  You definitely have to be a CLEC.

Some of the deterring factors are.

 * All work for cable and power must be done by their union employees.
 * All equipment installed has to be on the approved equipment list.
 * can not interconnect to any other provider other than VZ. If you
   were wanting to use it to connect to an upstream not going to happen
   unless you have fiber out of the building connected to them and them
   back in.
 * They have been known to charge per strand per month for fiber you
   have built in to the location. Yes they charge not for the cable,
   but for each strand...
 * There copper plant is pretty run down and they don't want to improve
   it. Interesting considering they aren't replacing it with fiber.
 * The application fee is quite a bit considering you more than likely
   will be denied the first time.

Trey