With power supplies set to 27v, we do tend to see it drop by a few volts
when it switches to battery power - we actually use that to monitor when
we're running on batteries.

I guess the voltage going to high might be a problem if you had a really
small load though. Ideally, I suppose you'd want to keep it regulated so
that the voltage doesn't drop too low either, but when you're dealing with
gear that's intended to run on PoE, it typically is designed for a pretty
wide voltage range, just to be able to deal with differences in cable
length.