Y2k19?

----- Original Message -----

From: "Forrest Christian (List Account)" <li...@packetflux.com>
To: "AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group" <af@af.afmug.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 9:07:51 PM
Subject: [AFMUG] GPS Rollover Heads-up

Just a heads-up for everyone:

On April 6, 2019, the GPS week counter will rollover - something which happens
every 1024 weeks, or about every 20 years. The last rollover was on August 21,
1999.

There is a non-zero chance that the date reported by some GPS receivers will
start reporting a date in 1999 when this occurs. Most modern GPS receivers
handle this reasonably well by assuming that the date reported by GPS is after
the build date for the GPS firmware, which means they will report the correct
date for 20 years after the firmware build date.

I am only mentioning this here because I know that many of us rely on GPS for
various date/time functions. Note that this should not affect in any way the
1PPS signal used for timing for cambium and other radios since that will be the
same alignment regardless of what year the GPS thinks it is.

--
- Forrest