There was also an article from EFF that pointed out gigabit speeds would only
be possible along the fiber infrastructure, i.e. probably not in many rural
areas, and that if there is fiber infrastructure, the emphasis should be put on
FTTH.

It’s like Chuck says, you can serve lots of people, achieve high data rates,
and go long distances.  But not at the same time.  The various aspects of 5G
are being purposely mixed up to confuse people.

TMobile especially is pitching benefits for rural broadband as an incentive to
approve their merger with Sprint.  But such things only happen if they are a
condition of the merger, like AT&T was forced to deploy FTTH to a certain
number of people as a merger condition, resulting in probably way more fiber
installs than Google Fiber ever did.  But if they can get away with just saying
let us merge with Sprint and the result will be lower prices and more jobs and
rural broadband, with no enforceable agreement, then the promises will quickly
be forgotten.

It’s hard to explain that 5G is just the next mobile standard after 3G and 4G,
it is evolutionary not revolutionary, and it will be implemented in low band
like 600-800 GHz, mid band like 2.5 and 3.5 GHz, and E-band mmWave.  If 5G
rural broadband happens, what they are talking about I think is mid band, so I
would claim WISPs have been using 2.5 and 3.5 GHz for years, along with 256QAM
and MU-MIMO.  Occasionally there are articles claiming AT&T will deploy rural
mmWave using their airGig technique, but I’ll believe that when I see it.