These are the guys the landed a rocket ship on its tail feathers on a tiny
barge in open ocean...
They can obviously do difficult things.

From: Adam Moffett
Sent: Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:56 PM
To: af@af.afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Real threat

I got into a discussion on Quora about this the other day.

Their FCC filing says they'll use 2000mhz of bandwidth for the Satellite to
User Terminal downlink.  However many satellites they have, they'll be limited
to 2000mhz per geographic area.  If we generously assume 10 bits/hz then that's
20gbps.  That's useful, especially in rural areas, but it's not enough to
replace cable or fiber like some pundits seem to think

Consider the trouble you can have coordinating channels for 50 or 100
stationary towers.  Apply that problem to thousands of moving satellites.
That's a serious engineering problem in and of itself.  Maybe do-able in
software, but not easy.

A person in the discussion pointed out that if the satellites are going to use
lasers to communicate with each other then they'll have to keep adjusting
alignment on those lasers constantly.  The servo aiming the laser must apply
torque to the satellite which has to be countered by either propellant or maybe
a counter rotating motor on the other side of the satellite. It wouldn't be a
big deal except they're moving constantly, so that's another big engineering
problem.

They also have to manage station keeping and maintenance for 7 times the number
of man-made satellites currently in operation for the whole world.

The potential for better rural internet is nice and all, but if they really get
all of this working it's an engineering feat on par with building the pyramids.

-Adam