From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Mark Radabaugh
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2019 1:59 PM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Using Surge Suppressors at CPE? Who does it?

Not sure on the ‘listed’ question, but you are correct about damage to the
router.

Mark

On Aug 29, 2019, at 2:29 PM, Ken Hohhof <af...@kwisp.com
<mailto:af...@kwisp.com> > wrote:

But wouldn’t NEC require a “listed” antenna discharge unit (i.e. surge
suppressor)?  I doubt any of the usual suspects are listed.  The alternative
would be to use shielded cable and ground the shield with a grounding block at
the entrance to the house.  That seems to be the approach taken by sat TV
installers, but they are using coax anyway and it has a shield.

With a grounding block, I’m not sure if the requirement is that it be bonded to
the electrical system ground, probably with a humongous wire.

That’s why we stopped putting the Canopy surge suppressors on the outside of
houses, in our rural area, properly bonding the ground is impossible on many
houses.  But with imperfect grounding, we found that the outside surge
suppressors greatly increased the likelihood that the customer’s router would
get the Internet port fried.  Ground potential differences.  The old adage
“ground’s ground the world around” ain’t true, at least not when lightning hits
a tree in the yard or the transformer on the utility pole.