I’d get a Macbook Air. Thin and light enough to get past her “ipad”
requirement.  then you get your keyboard/mouse needs met.
I travel to Europe a lot and my Macbook Pro is thin and light enough to carry
in my carry-on backpack without issue.
Although I do bring my ipad for catching up on my shows when on the train/plane.